76th Regiment of Foot, officer’s coatee button 22mm

POA

A very good example of the 76th Regiment of Foot’s gilt 22mm button as worn by officers before 1855. The button retains much of the original gilt and the backmark is FIRMIN & SONS, 153 STRAND, LONDON. The button bears the battle honour HINDOOSTAN for its early service in India during wars in Mysore and also PENINSULA for its service in the Napoleonic Wars. Unlike the other ranks’ buttons of the period the elephant does not carry a howdah although the crown sits almost in the same place. The elephant differs from those on the buttons of the two Scottish regiments which used one, the 74th & 78th, in that it has very dramatically upward facing tusks.  SOLD 4th June 2021

The regiment was to be amalgamated with the 33rd Foot  in the reforms of 1881 when they became battalions of the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment. The 76th was raised in 1787 by Sir Thomas Musgrave who was its colonel until 1812. The funds for raising it came from the profits of the East India Company  and it saw its first service there, receiving the battle honour Hindoostan. It was to wear the Assaye elephant on its buttons and some of its badges.

Sold