Search our collections
Shipping Quote List
- No products in the quote list.
- Antique collectors' objects
- Antiques from my private collection
- Books – India and The East India Company
- British Army Buttons. Edwardian, Victorian, and earlier examples
- Delhi Durbars and Royal Visits to India
- Folding maps other than India
- India - folding maps
- Indian Military Buttons and those worn by Political Officials
- Indian Princes
- Livery, Hunt, and other buttons
- Manuscripts and Ephemera
- Military & Naval Photographs – non-Indian
- Military antiques and curios
- Miscellaneous Items of Indian Interest, including Medals and militaria
- Photographs of Indian Interest
- Pictures, Paintings, and Prints
- Royal Buttons
- Swords and other edged weapons.
- Vellum bound decorative books
- Viceroys and Governors General of India
- WANTED. Items we are always keen to buy
Unusual Loyal Royalist button
A domed button of 18mm diameter with the wording THIS WE WILL SUPPORT around a Georgian crown. It is silver plated and in generally good condition apart from a scratch to the field right of the crown. The shank remains but is bent and the button has the backmark I NUTTING, LONDON. The company of Joseph Nutting was making buttons in Covent Garden from at least 1790 and this example has the look [compared with military buttons] of the late 18th century.
One can only speculate on when or by whom this button was worn but it is of the type worn on cavalry uniforms of the period. At a time of considerable international turmoil, with revolution in France and in Britain the Gordon Riots in London, political and personal disagreement between the King and his heir, the recent loss of America, loyalty to the crown was a very pertinent issue. We have never come across anything quite like this in the past.
1 in stock
Victorian button with the royal cypher, gilt 26mm£25.00 Add to basket
Windsor Court Dress, 23mm king’s crown£20.00 Add to basket
ADC to Queen Victoria, 16mm£12.00 Add to basket
Prince of Wales’s crested button, 19mm£4.00 Add to basket