Search our collections
Shipping Quote List
- No products in the quote list.
- Antique collectors' objects
- Antiques from my private collection
- Books – India and The East India Company
- British Army Buttons. Edwardian, Victorian, and earlier examples
- Delhi Durbars and Royal Visits to India
- Folding maps other than India
- India - folding maps
- Indian Military Buttons and those worn by Political Officials
- Indian Princes
- Livery, Hunt, and other buttons
- Manuscripts and Ephemera
- Military & Naval Photographs – non-Indian
- Military antiques and curios
- Miscellaneous Items of Indian Interest, including Medals and militaria
- Photographs of Indian Interest
- Pictures, Paintings, and Prints
- Royal Buttons
- Swords and other edged weapons.
- Vellum bound decorative books
- Viceroys and Governors General of India
- WANTED. Items we are always keen to buy
YORK VOLUNTEERS, An officer’s gilt button, 1790s
The domed button has the title YORK VOLUNTEERS beneath a Georgian crown, the reverse has two holes and a central shank. These domed buttons are 20mm diameter.
This example was worn by Hewley John Baines (1762-1830) of Bell Hall, Naburn, York, whose hallmarked silver gilt gorget and gilt brass shoulder belt plate will be found in the Gallery section of the website. The York Volunteer Corps was raised in 1794 when Baines was commissioned as a Captain. He was promoted to Major in 1796 and Lieutenant Colonel in 1803. An account of a parade of the corps on the Knavesmire at York can be found in the Sun published in London Monday Dec 29th 1794. He still appears in the twelfth edition of the List of Militia & Volunteers Officers of 1807 as one of the two Lieut Colonels, the other being Sir William Milnes, Bt. jul12/1a
The curvature of the button makes it difficult to photograph.
1 in stock
A dramatic coloured print of cavalry, dated 1899£45.00 Add to basket
1914-15 Star. A good example of an original miniature with ribbon£20.00 Add to basket
Royal Artillery. A 9 carat gold and enamel regimental brooch£95.00 Add to basket
Officer’s home pattern helmet of the Royal Artillery, post 1901£290.00 Add to basket